300 follower giveaway!!! wow cool
you can win:
- a cat zipper sweater (colour + size of your choice)
- a drawing by me (it can be anything!! yeah i know i draw furry shit and stuff like that but i can do humans! ill draw a ship/you or w/e (i wont do any nsfw stuff gomen)
- u dont have to have the drawing if you dont want it omg
RULES!! (read wow)
- reblog as much as you want!! idc man (but be kind to your followers)
- likes dont count but it dosent hurt to like!! (hahh ah)(ha)
- make sure ask box is open omg
- you dont have to be following me, but if you do ill throw in something a little extra for you uwu (maybe)
- if you dont respond within 25 hours sorry man but im picking another winner
- you have to be content w/ giving me your address
- no giveaway/side blogs!
- ends 3rd of July!!
yeah thats it!! good luck uwu
A Health Ministry inspector poured bleach over pots full of food in a Sudanese restaurant in Tel Aviv Sunday night.
The inspector, from the ministry’s district office for Tel Aviv, was participating in a raid by police and municipal inspectors on illegal businesses owned by African migrants. Altogether, the raid shut down 10 businesses in the city’s Neveh Sha’anan neighborhood, confiscating their equipment and welding the doors shut. The equipment was then loaded onto vans by other African migrants who had been hired as contract workers.
Many diners saw the inspector pouring bleach on the food, and one, asylum-seeker Aladin Abaker from Sudan’s Darfur region, posted photos of the incident on his Facebook page. He also described his feelings of humiliation.
“Everyone − except the destroyers − was in tears from the humiliation,” he wrote. “The waitress told us, ‘I’ve seen very harsh things in my life, like torture in Sinai, but this humiliated me more than what happened to me in Sinai.”
Abaker accused the inspector of “insensitivity to people and their culture, which sees food as a sacred thing that must be respected,” and said the raid was aimed at “embittering our lives so we’ll return to Africa ‘voluntarily.’”
Altogether, he said, more than 200 kilograms of meat, chicken and fish and over 500 prepared meals were destroyed.
The inspectors said they didn’t know where the meat came from and therefore feared for the diners’ health, Abaker wrote. “We told them: But this is the only place we’ve eaten all our meals for four years now, and none of us ever had stomach problems. Even whites eat here.”
The Health Ministry responded that inspectors had discovered “deplorable sanitary conditions, food stored under unsuitable conditions and temperatures, and food from unknown sources. In order to preserve the public’s health and that of the diners themselves, it was decided to destroy the food immediately. As part of the process of destroying the food, chemicals suitable to this purpose are used. It should be noted that this was a routine process of food destruction that is no different from other destructions of food/meat.”
Tel Aviv’s deputy city manager, Ruby Zelof, said the raids were carried out “to eradicate the undesirable phenomenon of businesses operating illegally, with sanitation and safety problems and illegal connections to electricity and water, and sales of alcoholic beverages without permits.”
Haaretz | Photo credit: Aladin Abaker
Knesset Member Miri Regev — a member of Prime Minister Netanyahu’s Likud Party — called the refugees “a cancer in our body” and Danny Danon — also a Likud Knesset Member — wrote on his Facebook page referring to the Africans as “infiltrators”. Interior Minister Eli Yishai said the African asylum seekers threaten “the Zionist dream,” adding, “Jobs will root them here.”
- Why is the birth rate in Israel’s Ethiopian community declining? Ethiopian women who immigrated to Israel were coaxed into agreeing to injections of long-acting birth control drugs, or told they would not be allowed into the country
- Israeli woman has her photo taken with Africans, titles the Facebook album: “Late night tour of the Tel Aviv Safari”, captions the photo: “There are no signs forbidding taking pictures with the animals. There were no signs that forbid feeding, but we passed on that.”
Looks like Israel’s got their own version of Jim Crow.
I now have the strong urge to reverse my hair colours XD
IT’S FINALLY HERE! MAKE-UP-IS-AN-ART IS TURNING 1 YEAR OLD SOON!
So what does this mean? Celebratory giveaway!
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Ammo Palette
- Stila “Flower Power” Lip Glaze Trio
- Sephora + Pantone Universe Foiled Waterproof Eyeliner Set
- MAC Fix+ (travel size)
- Must follow make-up-is-an-art
- You can reblog this post up to 10 times
- Likes DO NOT count
- Giveaway ends May 25th, 2013
- Please make sure your ask box is open so I can contact you!
- US entries only
This is my way of saying thanks to the almost 25,000 people that have followed my blog and love makeup as much as I do!
Just an I love my followers giveaway! This is a mixture of my favorite products and summer products :)
- Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray - Great for keeping your makeup on all day, prevents your makeup from looking cakey/powdery, can be sprayed before and after makeup.
- Too Faced Natural Eye Palette - Great every day palette with a mixture of matte and shimmery shades.
- 2 NYX lipglosses in Beautiful (medium pink) and Nude Peach (peachy coral)
- 2 NYX blushes in Mauve (dusty rose) and Summer Peach (peachy pink)
- Real Technique’s Blush Brush - Great for powder, blush & bronzer.
- Deluxe Mini Benefit Porefessional Primer
- Giveaway ends Friday May 3rd, 2013
- Must be following Makeup Lovers Unite
- Likes do not count as entries
- Reblogs count as one entry, can reblog up to 10 times total
- International, all countries can enter!
Good luck :)
- So You Want to Write a Fantasy: Writing Female Characters
- So You want to Write a Fantasy: Culture
- SYWTWAF: Writing What you Don’t know
- Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack
- Some primers
- More Primers
- RaceFail ‘09: Or where Deepad’s I didn’t dream of Dragons comes from, and why.
- Writing characters of Color
- Writing Outside your experience
- Media Representations Wiki - stereotypes/tropes/culture/etc
- On A:TLA’s whitewashing - All The World’s White, the Rest of Us merely live in it
- The Face of the Other: Do Manga & Anime characters look “white”?
- Describing Characters of Color pt 1 & Describing Characters of Color (pt 2)
- I Didn’t Dream of Dragons
- So You Want to: Avoid Unfortunate Implications
- Transracial Writing for the Sincere
- Why Writing Colorblind is Writing White
- What a Girl Wants: Representation
- An Equal Place at the Table
- Avoiding LGBTQ Stereotypes
- The Problem With Colorblindness (and the Rest of Racebending.com)
- Making Movies for White People: A Tongue in Cheek critique of Minority Representation in the Media, or lack thereof
- From Margin to Center: Writing Characters of Color via Racialicious
- Writing Characters of Color - a helpful community!
- Why my Protagonists aren’t white (even though I am.)
- The Dangers of Telling a Single Story (a helpful Video)
- The Lack of People of Color in Historical Fictions
- How to Read and Respond to Literature of Color
- The Advantages of being a White Writer (in getting published)
- Writing Characters of Colour (Now With 10% Less White Liberal Anxiety!)
- Fic and Skin Tone (discusses Nyota Uhura, otherwise relevant)
- On Problematic Writing
- Writing Race in YA fiction: Debunking Myths
- Diversity Writers: How to Write People of Color
- The Importance of Inclusionary Writing
- Overcoming the Noble Savage and the Sexy Squaw: Native Steampunk
- The Intersection of Race and Steampunk: Colonialism’s After-Effects & Other Stories, from a Steampunk of Colour’s Perspective
- Beyond Victoriana: For EVERYTHING Steampunk/1800s/Industrial Revolution that isn’t just Victorian England and the archives Tales of the Urban Adventurer
- Can I just watch A Game of Thrones in Peace? (A brown feminist fan rant).
- Fantasy and Sci-Fi race Bingo
- Invoking Strangely Colored people
- Many Voices
- AfroFuturism, SciFi, and the History of the Future
- Some Open Thoughts on Race & Dsyutopia
- When Will White People Stop Making Movies like Avatar?
- Portraying POC in YA Fantasy: Are we There Yet?
- Debunking White Fantasy
- Racism in Fantasy
- Magical Realism is Fantasy written in Spanish.
- #Beardy unwashed white fantasy guy
- Describing Characters of Color in Writing
- Your Default Narrative Settings Are Not Apolitical
- On Writing LGBTQ characters (another list)
1.) It’s not hard to figure out what to do, there are plenty of resources.
People say you have to get it right, do your research, but … what else are you supposed to research? It’s not like people with more pigment in their skin have completely different personalities than those with less, any more than any individual. It’s frustrating when I can’t even figure out what the heck people are talking about.
Bam. Research step one done for you.
2.) Writing characters of color/minorities is a good thing.
I don’t like the notion that fantasy authors are under some kind of obligation to present ethnically diverse worlds. I’m English, and a fair sized part of English history consists of unwashed beardy white people in mead halls. If I’m inspired by my own history and cultural heritage, then that’s what I’m damn well going to write about. I’m not writing about some other culture just to appease the people who think there aren’t enough black characters in fantasy, or whatever. You want it, you write it. Nothing to do with me.
3.) Your all White Fantasy Land Didn’t Exist in Real Life:
…the rather medieval one has more diversity than real medieval Germany probably had […] In a world with medieval means of transport, it just doesn’t seem natural to me to mix dark-skinned people with blue-eyed blondes in one setting. I just try to give the people a colour that fits the place where they live.
You mean like the people from Africa and the Middle east who began to take over Southern Spain, as well as the Jews who were pretty well spread out throughout Europe, the Middle Easterners they would have met on the Crusades, and the incoming Mongol Hordes who spread to the very edges of Eastern Europe before the empire finally collapsed? Don’t forget that Turkey is right there, and the silk road would have gone from Song Dynasty China, through India, and ended in Turkey before moving further westwards into places like Germany. Also the attempts at the Franco-Mongol alliance would have been pretty interesting. (That’s about the 13th century - arguably smack dab in Middle Ages Europe and definite contact between France/Christian Europe and the Mongolian Empire.)
Unless you’re writing everything in the far reaches of Denmark or something, historically speaking, I call bullshit on people who have societies that are only all white ever, because it’s just inaccurate. Consider the relative closeness of Northern Africa to Spain, or Turkey to the rest of Europe, the conquests of Alexander the Great, the Crusades, Slavery existing in Europe, including England, the slave trade, imperialism, Pax Mongolica, The Silk Road, Jewish Diaspora, the Islamic Empire vs The Holy Roman Empire, Egypt, Algeria, China’s sailing across the world, The Maruyan/Gupta Empires of India, tea trades, Columbus sailing in hopes of finding China, etc, etc, etc.
4.) I mean I just don’t believe you anymore. It’s unrealistic. Seriously guys.
You’d think I’d just denied the holocaust or something. Get a grip. All I said was that I’m going to write about my own cultural experience and anyone who thinks I should do otherwise for the sake of political correctness can bugger off.
This isn’t even about being PC this is just not being wrong about everything.
This is an amazing resource. Thank you for all the hard work you put into this.
Eyvind Earle concept art for Walt Disney’s “Sleeping Beauty” (1959)
We had a set of Disney books in my first school where all the illustrations were like these. I remember taking them home and doing a zillion drawings based on them, when I was wee.
The Red Umbrella Project, a sex workers’ rights advocacy group, is sending out postcards to politicians with illustrations of interviews of sex workers’ experiences with the unfair NYC “Carrying condoms as evidence of prostitution” law. RUP director Audacia Ray sent me this text from an interview with “a 22-year-old person who identified as black, Puerto Rican, and gender non‐conforming.” I hope I did this person justice with these drawings.
Sex workers’ rights is an issue extremely close to my heart, so I was very happy to do this job. Big thanks to this person for sharing their story (not sure of their pronouns), to Dacia for the job, and to Voz for recommending me (and also for every time she gives me a good compassionate kick in the ass when I’m off-base about anything, and really everything she posts).
This is awesome and holy shit that is a fucked up clearly bullshit law (but I mean aren’t most?). Sex work needs to be decriminalized and pigs need to stop harassing people for fucking existing.
Taking away sex workers’ condoms doesn’t stop them from having sex, it stops them from having safe sex
The food you eat or brush you’re using may have been made by a worker earning less than a dollar an hour — not in the developing world, but in the invisible workforce inside America’s prisons. Share this if you oppose prison labor for profit.
When I was in prison I worked 3 shifts a day, 5 days a week, starting at 5 AM and ending at 8 PM. I was paid $5.25 a month. Pay for the inmates who facilitate UNICOR workers (by making their food, washing their laundry, etc,) is even lower than the wages cited in the above graphics. The prison industry is also a slave industry, and it isn’t just corporations who benefit. All the furniture you see in federal buildings, post offices, DMVs, etc, where do you think it comes from? Prison labor. I think a lot of people know about states that use prison labor for license plates, but fewer people know that the plaques on doors at city halls, and sometimes the doors themselves, come from prison labor. The incarcerated are a hyper-exploited class unto themselves, and almost no one seems to be helping them to organize themselves.
I have no sympathy for those in prison. They’re lucky if they’re paid in my opinion. Slave labor and punishment aren’t the same thing.
are you fucking kidding me? a woman was recently imprisoned for FIVE years. FIVE. Why? Because she lied about her address to get her kid into a nicer school. CeCe McDonald was put in jail because she defended herself against a white guy. People are arrested for fighting back against their abusers. People are put in jail for having addictions. People are put in jail for being homeless.
Not to mention, prison populations are overwhelmingly POC. Why? Institutionalized racism, dude. It’s not a coincidence the picture is of a black woman. It’s the truth. and it’s fucked. Our “justice” system is fucked.
I don’t feel sorry for prisoners getting paid such low wages. No matter what they’re in for. Break the law all you want, but don’t be stupid enough to get caught. If you’re going to do something that you are told is illegal then do it right and cover your tracks. Even if you were not aware you were doing something illegal you should have, because ignorance of the law is never and excuse. If you’re stupid enough to get yourself caught then I think you’re lucky if you get paid anything. Besides, why should a prisoner get paid even minimum wage when most of them are living under better conditions than half the elderly people stuck in nursing homes today. Three hot meals a day, a roof over their head, clothes on their backs, education if they should want it, regular access to exercise equipment, a job provided to them if they should choose to work, and health care all paid for by the tax payer. There is a reason they are incarcerated and there is a reason they don’t get paid as much as someone working on the outside.
People like you piss me the fuck off. Do you honestly not see a problem with the government making a huge profit off of prisoners, 50% of whom are non-violent offenders. 50% of prisoners are also parents to a minor child, including more than 120,000 mothers and 1.1 million fathers. 2/3 of them are non-violent offenders.
The united states has more prisoners than any country in the world, accounting for 25% of the world prison population. And the US gives our prisoners much longer sentences than any other part of the ‘developed’ world. The typical mandatory sentence for a first-time drug offense in federal court is five or ten years, compared to other ‘developed’ countries around the world where a first time offense would warrant at most 6 months in jail.
And prison labor isn’t fucking voluntary. If prisoners don’t work, they serve longer sentences (prison labor may reduce sentences for some), lose privileges, and risk solitary confinement which is torture.
Our government and private for-profit prisons makes billions a year from prison slave labor. That is why we have the largest prison population on earth and why we give harsh sentences.
Fuck all the asshole reblogging this post who ‘see no problem with this’ and support slave labor. Millions of people are being criminalized for being poor and having addictions and you’re lending your support to the cruel rich fucks profiting from our misery. I’m usually not the one to wish suffering on people but YOU deserve to be slave inmates working for pennies a day more than half of those serving time.